Monday, March 17, 2008

Dog beach.....

The one thing I should point out about greyhounds is that you really shouldn't let them off the lead, especially around other dogs. We had a fantastic day down at the dog beach with about 30 other greyhound owners and it was nice to meet other people and ask questions and stuff. It is pleasing to know that ours is not the only greyhound that lunges at little dogs (which, may I add is happening far less often now) and wants to eat them for lunch. However, I would say about 8 people had their greyhounds off the leash, running around playing in the water etc. It was heartening to watch and made me dead jealous that I couldn't let mine off. But a couple of things I noticed; 1) greyhounds are frighteningly fast, their running gait is totally different to your average Labrador and their acceleration compared to other breeds of dogs is just staggering. 2) Greyhounds are pack hunters. Hands down. All nice and good to have one running around, but if there are more, then they will run together, in a pack, and they were all picking on one dog...a little Kelpie. They didn't hurt it in any way, but they kept chasing it down, and standing over it like the doggy police saying "Sorry, only WE'RE allowed to run on this beach." And of course, it couldn't get away. Anyway, it all got a bit tense there at one stage and the worst thing is, the greyhound owners just stood around laughing and saying how good their dogs were. Oh my god, I'm sure you'd be saying that if it ripped the throat out of that poor Kelpie!

0 comments: