Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I'm a celebrity, get me outta here!

The culture of celebrity is a fickle one. I can somehow take solice in the fact that I am not one myself and that I can take the rubbish bins out in my trackie dacks and not be photographed and thence have a 4 page colour spread on the topic in a trashy mag. However, I can take some guilty pleasure in reading these trashy mags myself, no thanks to Miss Rs penchant for Hollywood gossip and who leaves them lying around the house.

A few years ago I joined an on-line celebrity stockmarket called "Celebdaq" run by the BBC (www.bbc.co.uk/celebdaq). Basically, you have an imaginary 10,000 pounds to invest in celebrities. Their prices go up the more printed exposure they get. This was easy to do whilst living in the UK where reading about celebrity trash was a daily ritual. Once I moved back to Australia though, the culture of celebrity was markedly devoid. I let my membership lapse. I don't want to blow my own trumpet here, but hey, I managed to get into the top 100 traders back then. I was pretty good.

So, after a 3 year hiatus, I have re-joined. It is far trickier keeping up with celebrity goings on from the other side of the planet, but I'm getting by. But what I want is some competition, so if you're reading this and you decide to join up, let me know so we can start a league. It's all a bit of harmless fun, but by god, it can certainly help you clock up some serious internet time.

0 comments: