Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh Brother.

If you had read earlier postings, you would've found that I have a little secret. Well, not so much a secret as something not to be proud of.

Yes, I watch Big Brother.

I think back to 2001 when the first series kicked off. That very first series with all the hype and mystery surrounding it. I had watched clips from overseas where contestants were mobbed by thousands and thousands of people. This must truly be an awesome show full of pop-psychological observations on sociology!

But what we got wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

But still, as if I was trapped in an hypnotic whirlpool, I was sucked in. Every night, 7pm, on would come Big Brother. My housemate and I would yell abuse at the TV and how we didn't want Anne Marie in our living room ever again. It was our two votes that sent her home. Good. I wished Blair had won 'cos the guy who won was totally forgettable....hence why I don't remember his name.

The second series, for whatever reason, I didn't watch it. Again, some boring guy won it.

Then my eyes were opened to the possibilities of what Big Brother could be when I watched the British version. It was fantastic. It was straight down the line, simple, effective, tough. No holiday for these clowns. Even the host had a bit of spunk about her...Go Davina! But in the end some born again christian guy from the Orkney Islands won...again, b-o-r-i-n-g.

I was disappointed with the Aussie version when I came home. It had become soft, when someone breaks the rules, you don't give them 20 chances, you expel them, immediately. Put the housemates under fear. Pressure. But all we got was akin to watching a 20-something beach party year in year out.

But still I watched, I dunno why, probably because there was nothing else on at 7pm.

Last year was pretty good I thought. A great number of twists, and the people were actually half decent. But again, too soft.

And so this year, it ends....tonight...at least on channel 10. I can't see another station picking it up. If you thought the contestants for the channel 10 versions were boring, imagine what it would be like on channel 9...sheesh. They would have the personality and complexion of sanitized toilet paper.

0 comments: