Sunday, April 13, 2008

To be Australian...

I was thinking about a memory I had the other day. It's from when I was living in Perth and I was driving south along the Freeway towards the city, it was a sunny day...not too hot, not too cold, I had three mates with me and Triple J were playing a Jebediah song. That very moment, for whatever reason, is etched in my brain. I can almost SMELL the day such is its clarity. What occurred to me that day as well, was how fricken lucky we are living here, I mean seriously, we are a great country. Yes, I have traveled around the world, not extensively, and hey, there probably are countries out there that are nicer than this, but anyway, I digress....So what does it mean to be Australian? It means many things, to many people. I think when you are abroad one becomes even more Australian. I never used to like Rugby Union until I lived in the UK and had to barrack for the Wallabies. I never drank Fosters either. Go figure huh? Some thoughts regarding Australia......

1: Vegemite is like eating solidified Guiness. An acquired taste to be sure.
2: Traveling 100km to visit a friend barely raises an eyebrow.
3: Thank goodness we measure things in metric. 10 x 10 x 10...what could be easier right? Imperial measurements just make no sense except for their abject randomness. 1 X 12 x 3 x 1432?? There is no logic....move on.
4: Driving on the LHS means left foot clutch, left hand gear change. Any other way and it's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy. Logic again.
5: No guns...well, not entirely. Maybe our lack of seriously unspooled people that have access to said firearms.
6: Sunday trading. How progressive are we huh?
7: one country, one accent. I still don't understand that.
8: Our bank notes are the most colourful in the world. We are awesome.
9: Sport can knock major world affairs off the front page of a newspaper. It's all about priorities.

0 comments: