Thursday, October 4, 2007

Melbourne my town....



I have been wondering lately about what makes this city of Melbourne so bloody great. For those of you who haven't been here, it's a pretty generic city as far as cities go. There is a CBD with tall buildings and out from it spread the inevitable suburbs.

Office workers populate the CBD during the week of course. Suits and ties, especially around Collins St where the stockbrokers all are and around William St where all the lawyers are. The inner suburbs are a mix of old industrial areas, new apartment complexes and old Victorian era cottages. Very tre chic I suppose. The western suburbs still comprise of warehouses and factories. Real estate is terribly undervalued here, especially considering you are only 5km from the city. The south and eastern suburbs are, and always have been, quite exclusive...with the exception of Richmond, which in my opinion is a claustrophobic hell hole where you can never find a car park and traffic barely moves. My personal favourite is, and always will be, the north. It's a little scungey, but it has character. We don't have half as many traffic problems as other areas of the city. It's flat which makes bike riding easy and you get value for money as far as housing goes.

I love Melbourne's culture and the ease to get around.
I love Melbourne's people; so diverse and carefree.
I love Melbourne's food and coffee.

All sorts of things.

0 comments: