Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away.....

Tell me this, when something extraordinarily good happens to you, do you suddenly think "U-oh, there's gonna be payback." I do, and for good reason. Consider this.....

After suffering through another 40C day hiding from the heat in the luxury of our air conditioned house, the blast furnace in the sky some people refer to as the sun, had set and the temperature had dropped a staggering 2 degrees. I decided that the dogs were requiring of a walk. Having been cooped up all day, they were getting a bit toey. So I thought only a small walk, around the block, nothing over the top. I took the dogs one at a time, much easier that way sometimes. So I'm going around the block the second time with Cleo, who somehow manages to handle the heat in a super dog kinda way. She stops to sniff what I thought was a piece of paper, but just so happens to be a $50 note! Whoa. Fifty bucks! Awesome! That's a guilt free dinner at the local Indian no problems!

So we blow the $50 on a top notch Indian meal. Lovely.

And yet, that niggling sensation that something bad was about to befall us was still niggling me in the back of my brain. The hamster in the wheel was treading overtime. And then it happened.....the air conditioner packed it in. Like, as if it could've timed it shitting itself any more perfectly. The outside air temp was still on the wrong side of 35C and here we sat with an air conditioner blowing nothing but warm air on us all of a sudden. Great.

It was only a matter of time. Mr S next door is an air conditioner mechanic luckily enough. He did warn me not more than 3 days ago that it was only a matter of time before ours shat itself much like his and the others in the block had done. And in shitting themselves I mean beyond repair.

So, Miss R, the dogs and myself suffered through a night so warm that well, get this; You know when you are in bed, and you move position to get a nice cool spot or turn the pillow over to get the cold side? well, in this instance, the bed was actually hotter if I moved and the other side of the pillow was hot enough to give me infra-red burns on the side of my face.

I hate summer.

0 comments: