Sunday, January 13, 2008

You are what you eat....

When, many moons ago, I lived on my own my diet was fairly bland, but useful. My rule of thumb when it comes to meals is that if it takes longer to prepare than to eat, it's a waste of time. Hence I used to whip up a veritable vat of butter chicken on a Monday night that would last me at least until Friday. This saved much time (and money) on week nights when I didn't want to cook.

This mentality has not been lost.

Last week saw me cook up a batch of vegetable pasta bake, the amount of which could quite easily have fed a family of 4 for 2 weeks. It has been slow going for Miss R and I to get through this, well, "bath" of pasta bake. We have even been feeding it to the dogs in a desperate attempt to finish it off before any mould starts to grow on top of it in the fridge. But the end draws near, we can actually start to see the bottom of the baking dish and in all honesty we are both sick of pasta bake. I mean, don't get wrong, it was bloody delicious and the whole thing probably cost $15 to make if that, but even too much of a good thing can wear thin.

I hate to say it, but the secret ingredient (as given to me by my mum) for a good pasta bake is Heinz Big Red Tomato Sauce. Now, go forth and try it for yourselves.

0 comments: