Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fridays

Of all the days of the week, I have learned to love Fridays. It's kind of strnge because when I was working in the miens there was no such thing as a 5 day a week job - it was work flat out for 12 hours a day for 2-3 weeks then take a week or two off (depending on the mine). It was okay for a time, but it pretty much split my life into two. I had two toothbrushes, one for site and one for Perth; I had two TVs, two guitars, two pairs of sneakers, two sets of clothes...the list was pretty much endless. But since becoming a teacher and now in the enviro field I find myself in now, the 5 day a week malarky is rubbing off on me. Fridays have a vibe about them that no other day of the week has. Everyone is happy. And now with the weather warming up there is a buzz in the air, an excitement that I just can't explain. Everyone wants to do a long lunch in an open air cafe on Friday and why wouldn't you? Do I miss the mining life? Nup. If it is something I have learned to appreciate in life and that is the creature comforts. There is nothing better than being to go home (to your OWN home) and watch telly in your OWN loungeroom at the end of the day. The only drawback is you have to cook your OWN dinner as well which is something I didn't have to do in the mines.

Speaking of dinner, as I have mentioned previously, there is definietly no Indian or Thai takeaways in the general Reservoir area, which is a right royal pain. However, we are ridiculously well serviced with Souvlaki and pizza places or fish and chip shops. Not exactly brilliant cuiseine.

0 comments: