Monday, September 24, 2007

A home made whippet lure........

As a sighthound, whippets, as a rule, love chasing things. However, our little whippy tends to be a bit lazy and only run around when, and only when, she feels like it. Yesterday was a case in point; took her to the park, off the lead and everything, and all she wanted to do was walk around, sniff the grass, eat some poo and lie down.

But there is always something I wanted to try out and that is to see if she'd chase something that moved quite fast. So, I tied a soft toy rabbit to the back of my bike and rode around while Miss R held Cleo in place. It was quite funny at first, she watched the bunny go and really didn't know what to do. Then, it was like a switch went off in her head and Miss R couldn't hold to her anymore. She ran, full throttle after the bunny. I rode as fast as I could, but she caught up very easily and grabbed the bunny, broke the string and ran off with it. Meanwhile, I had run out of space and promptly went arse up and the bike seat dug into my left thigh. I know it was my left thigh because I can barely walk on it today and the bruise looks quite nasty. Ouch.

We repeated this about three times before poor Cleo collapsed from exhaustion. About time too as she hasn't really run like that for a week or so. She had a hard time of it on Sunday when we took her up to Miss R's parent's house where she was smothered by their two (massive) Golden Retrievers. She couldn't get away because there wasn't alot of space for her to run.

Anyway, I'm quite happy that she'll chase a lure now so I can only hope that we can get her on a race track soon.

0 comments: