Wednesday, August 15, 2007

306 GTi6

Cars. I have found that throughout my life I have been cursed with car problems. My first car was a blue MAzda 626. Awesome car, I had it for nigh on 6 years I reckon. Got it resprayed, new engine the works, as one does with their first car their attached to. At the same time however, when I have too much money to burn, I purchased a 2nd hand Jaguar XJ12 saloon. Private import and I was seduced by the V12 engine. Alas, this was short lived and the car was a lemon that cost $2000 to service every 6 months, so it luckily went to a better place. But my little Mazda 626 kept going strong.....until it met its end in a front on collision with a Kingswood. What a shame, really it was. But, life moved on and I moved up to a lime green Mazda 929. Same engine pulling along a car twice the weight, so sluggish was putting it kindly! Electrical faults and a dodgy carburettor that no mechanic could ever fix plagued its existence on this planet. In the end though, I bit the bullet and got my present wheels.

As I have mentioned previously, the car that I drive is a Peugeot 306 GTi6. Claimed by many to be the king of hot hatch backs, it never fails to put a smile on my face when I really give it some stick. Take for example last night. For some reason, that I just can't explain, she stuck to every corner like glue, I kept the revs up to around 3-4500, right in the band, powered through every corner and left a dumbstruck teenager in his daddy's BMW in my wake. Suck on that rich boy. Mind you, she hasn't come without a little heartache. Driveshafts, clutch cable, front suspension brakes and tyres are all de rigour for such a fine piece of machinery. She's practically eaten through a set of front tyres in 6 months, but I get them 2nd hand for $50 each, so not all that bad in the end.

0 comments: