Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Karma?

A number of years ago when I was a geologist working in the mines of Western Australia, I dreamed of having a 9-5 5 day a week office job in the city. That was my goal. I would even have done simple Office Admin stuff, but everywhere I tried I was knocked back because I was "overqualified" or whatever. I hit upon the idea of becoming an Environmental Scientist. THere were a couple of companies in Perth at the time and I sent CVs to every one of them. I got a call back from one firm who were just starting out and wanted more staff. So I went to the interview and it was all really promising. I would've killed to land that job and get me out of the hell hole that were mining camps. BUt they kept stuffing me around saying that the budget wasn't finalised and he wasn't sure if he could put on more staff blah blah blah. So anyway, I slugged it out in the mines for a few more months, got totally jack of it, but had saved enough togo do Diploma of Primary School Teaching. Fast forward after 7 years of teaching I'm now an Environmental Scientist....doing what I wanted to do all along. However, that firm who had stuffed me around all those years ago I have since found out are in a bit of doo-doo, including the guy who had interviewed me, and are being investigated for fraud and all that. I bet he had no idea at all how much that job would've meant to me at the time.
It's funny, I was watching something on one of those low brow Current Affairs shows last night about how Generation Y are chopping and changing jobs left right and centre. Good on 'em. Just think about us Gen Xers who copped a caining in the mid 1990's recession and have had to battle constantly against the Baby Boomer generation. You don't know how lucky you have it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

t's such a great site. fabulous, acutely fascinating!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony Mozgowe[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.hollman.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/opony,s,1854/]opony[/url]