Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Old friends

Yesterday Miss R and I trundled out to the suburbs to visit a very old and dear friend of mine whose child was getting baptized. It was great because I managed to spend some time with some old High School friends who I hadn't seen in quite some time. It always amazes me that these guys I have known for well on 15 years now, and we all still get along just fine. These guys all pretty much have kids and houses in the outer suburbs which makes them hard to catch up with, and because Miss R and I don't have kids, and don't have the house in the outer burbs, it makes things all the bit harder. I don't begrudge them anything, they're all lovely guys and there is a big part of me that wishes I could see them more often.
But then I have friends like Mr Caffiene who popped over Friday night as he lives in the city and is only like 15 minutes away. He is too generous to a fault. He brought over a half dozen of very expensive imported beers, which we drank and had a good laugh over. His cafe is going great guns and I'm very very proud of him. I don't see any kids coming from him for at least a few years, if at all.
So one tends to have a friends that have kids and those that don't. As far as Miss R and I are concerned, there are enough people having kids that the world don't need any from us. What's the world's population now? 7 billion or something crazy like that?

0 comments: